Sunday, April 28, 2013

Toddlers are Like Little Drunk People

This week's post isn't going to be about any projects I did but rather about a hilarious blog post I found on Pinterest that any parent of a toddler (or former toddler, or some college kids) can relate to.  It was called 20 Ways Toddlers are Like Dealing with a Drunk Person.  I loved this post.  I've dealt with my share of drunk people, and have been one myself during my college years, so after spending a weekend a lone with my kids, I couldn't help but reflect on this post and laugh!

From Motherhood on the Rocks, here is her original post:

After writing about how living with children is like living in a frat house, I got to thinking…taking care of a toddler is, in many ways, like dealing with a drunk person. The emotional highs and lows, uncoordinated movements and lack of volume control, not to mention the fact that you are on suicide watch 24/7 with them, are just a few of the many reasons that toddlers resemble drunk people. By the way, I totally want this glass.
Following are 20 more ways that taking care of a toddler is like dealing with a drunk person. What would you add to this list?
  1. No personal boundaries
  2. Falls over A LOT. Gets up, yells “I OK!” and keeps going
  3. Poor decision making skills
  4. Spontaneous vomiting
  5. Speaks gibberish
  6. Gets belligerent if you take away their beer [insert favorite toy here]
  7. Cries for no apparent reason
  8. Streaking (see #3)
  9. Philosophical conversations with inanimate objects
  10. Short attention span
  11. Argumentative
  12. Poor short term memory
  13. Zero inhibitions
  14. Loses everything
  15. Will pass out anywhere
  16. One track mind
  17. Demanding
  18. Getting them undressed (or redressed) is like wrestling an alligator
  19. Runs into things that haven’t moved…ever
  20. One volume setting – LOUD!
Hilarious right? With the exception of #15, my 3 1/2 year old goes through each and every one of these within a half hour these days.  Sometimes I legitimately think he's crazy.  Take Saturday for example.  We went to the park.  He gets kicked in the face by an older kid, gets a shiner, cries for two minutes, I say "do you want to leave", he says "no I'm fine", wipes his tears and is back playing with the kid who kicked him, climbing up the SIDE of the playground that was not meant for climbing.  Numbers 2, 3, 10, 12 and 13 within two minutes time.  He takes numbers 16, 17, 19 and 20 to a whole new level everyday.  

So what's the point of this post?  As tough as being a Toddler Mom is, a post like this can really help you find a bright spot in your daily struggles and remind you that other people are dealing with the same crap you are.  Today I am exhausted and looking like I've been through a war, because I basically have; but I wouldn't have it any other way.  Similar to a fun drunk person, he is so hilarious and makes me laugh like no one else can.  

Pinterest isn't just for projects.  You can find inspiration in other areas of life and this post shows that.  Motherhood on the Rock's post gets a total PIN from me.  She was open, honest and real about what it is like to deal with a toddler sometimes.  So the next time your little person starts acting crazy, just think of this list and laugh your way through the craziness! 

 





P.S. - A special thank you goes out to my favorite Toddler who provided the content and inspiration for this post...the one and only, Mr. Gio.  


My Crazy Toddler

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment