Monday, May 13, 2013

How to Make a $2 Cake Stand

Who doesn't need a cake stand, right?  To be honest, I really don't LOL.  I don't make cakes all that often and when I do they are usually not placed on a fancy cake stand but I kept seeing this pin and I had to try it.  I figured I would use it at one point or another and if I didn't I was only out a few bucks!

Here is my original inspiration:

Originally found on Design by TJEJEN
The blog I originally got this from  was written in Swedish.  When I just went back in to reference it for this post I realized that my browser (Chrome) had the ability to translate!  So can see where this is going right?  Since I didn't figure that out until now, I also didn't see that this pinner got her idea from a very popular American blogger I see all the time, the Centsational Girl.  On her blog she had step by step instructions, so if you decide to try this, go to her post! If I had to do it over I would follow her instructions.   

So with no instructions, just pictures, I went to the Dollar Tree and bought a clear martini glass and a clear plate.  I also got crazy glue to adhere the plate to the glass.  (The Centsational Girl's post used silicone.)  

I flipped the plate over and put glue around the plate where the glass fit.  I stuck it on and let it dry for a bit.  A little glue oozed out so I had to wipe that off.  You can see how this got a little sloppy in one of my photos below. 

DIY Cake Stand

DIY Cake Stand

DIY Cake Stand
Sloppy Glue

From there I took it to the garage and spray painted two coats of my purple spray paint, letting it dry in between each coat.
DIY Cake Stand

Here's my end result (I didn't have any cakes handy for my picture!):


DIY Cake Stand

For $2 it's not bad, but I can see where following Centsational Girl's instructions would have helped out. You can't tell from these photos but if you get up close, the paint is a little spotty even after two coats.  Priming it with the frost spray as she recommends would probably have helped that.  I totally would have used silicone too...I'm nervous my stand is going to buckle under pressure, literally, as soon as a cake gets on top of it!

This project gets a PIN with modifications...if I had found the right instructions right off the bat, this would have had a better outcome.

This is the frustrating part of Pinterest for me.  I HATE when I see something I love and want to try but can't find instructions or at least some sort of details that can point you in the right direction. So I want to know, as something like this ever happened to you?  Comment on the blog or on Facebook, I'd love to hear from you.



Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment