Monday, July 8, 2013

Crockpot Creations - Part 2 of 2 with a Guest Post by Joanna

Today we continue our quest to find Pinterest crockpot recipes that are actually worth trying.  We have a great guest post from a friend of mine, Joanna.  Joanna is a very busy newlywed, that has a ridiculous commute to work everyday!  She uses her crockpot to have meals ready when she gets home so she doesn't have to spend all night in the kitchen!

Guest Blogger:  Joanna

Hello everyone in the Pin or Pass blogosphere!  My name is Joanna.  I'm a scientist by day, foodie by night, and a Pinterest addict during my train commute home (...and lunch break at work, and down time before bed..). Well, you get the picture.  When Jenn was looking for a guest blogger I jumped at the chance.  I love searching Pinterest for new recipes to try on the weekends.  I have two boards I keep for myself:  "test kitchen-repeat" and "test kitchen - no repeat."  Or as Jenn likes to say, "Pin or Pass." I hope my incite into Pinterest popular recipes can be helpful to all of you!


Three things drew me to this pin.1.  I love my crockpot .2.  Sweet and spicy is an amazing combination.3.  Garlic.   Lots of garlic. 


The fact that this recipe possessed these three qualities put the pin directly onto my "yum" board."  I love to cook dinner for my husband and I.  However, my days are long, I'm talking 15 hours long (on a good day).  So when I find a recipe that utilizes the crockpot and is guaranteed to give me a few nights worth of dinners I'm usually sold.  


This pin was originally found on Six Sisters Stuff. Here's what it should like:
Originally found at Six Sisters' Stuff


I had all of the ingredients in my kitchen except for the soda, which was a quick fix; so it was a great recipe to give a try on a Sunday.


Ingredients* 4-6 chicken breasts ($3.00)                           - I only had 3 on hand and I think the quantity was fine * 1 cup packed brown sugar ($0.48)                - I used light brown sugar * 2/3 cup vinegar ($0.94)                                  - I used red wine vinegar  * 1/4 cup lemon-lime soda ($0.06) * 2-3 Tablespoons minced garlic ($0.86)* 2 Tablespoons soy sauce ($0.21)* 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper (freebie)* 2 Tablespoons corn starch ($0.12)* 2 Tablespoons red pepper flakes (freebie)    - optional  Total Cost - $5.67 
* Served over rice, I got about 6 servings out of this recipe.  Your serving sizes may differ.  Cost per serving - $0.95


Instructions1. Spray slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray. 2. Place chicken (frozen, thawed or fresh) inside slow cooker. 3. Mix together brown sugar, vinegar, soda, garlic, soy sauce, and pepper together. 4. Pour over chicken. 5. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 4 hours. 6. Take chicken pieces out of slow cooker and pour remaining sauce into saucepan. 7. Place saucepan over high heat. 8. Mix together corn starch and water, pour into saucepan, and mix well.* Note: no specific amount of water was given.  I kept adding water to the cornstarch by the teaspoon until the cornstarch was completely dissolved.  I ended up adding 8 teaspoons of water , which is equal to 2 2/3 Tablespoons. 9.  Let sauce come to a boil and boil for 2-3 minutes, or until it starts to thicken and turns into a glaze. 10. Remove from heat and let sit for a minute or two (it will continue to thicken as it cools down). 11. Sprinkle red pepper flakes on top if desired.  

Since I had almost all of the ingredients on hand I don't have an exact total of what I spent on the ingredients.  Here's the end result:

Crockpot garlic and brown sugar chicken
The finished product!

This recipe was super simple, delicious, and a crowd pleaser.  When adding the red pepper flakes it definitely reminds me of one of my Chinese food take-out favorites, Chicken in Garlic Sauce, at a fraction of the price!  This gets a PIN! 


Thanks Joanna!  Next up...it's an exciting time at the Calero house.  My main man, Gio, is turning 4 in a few weeks and we are preparing for a Ninja Turtle themed birthday party. My little lady, Miss Julianna, is turning 1 so I'm working on some fun picture ideas and a Minnie Mouse themed birthday.  Stay tuned for more.  If you have a guest post you'd like to submit please email me at jcalero1015@yahoo.com.  


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment