Monday, March 25, 2013

A Baby Girl Nursery - Pinterest Style Part 3

Welcome to the last of my 3 part series, a baby girl nursery, Pinterest style!  In today's post I am going to cover the last two major projects I did for her room, a dresser makeover and a tutu table.  Let's start with my inspiration:
Originally found at Real Simple
DIY dresser makeover
Originally found at Good Bye House, Hello Home

Let's start with the dresser.  Now, I will tell you up front, much like our fireplace makeover I didn't have much to do with the manual labor on this project, I was the Visionary :) and Chris (my husband) did the hard stuff!  The dresser we got was handed down from his Mom.  It was a very high quality piece of furniture but it was a blonde stain.  Not going to work with our color scheme at all, so Chris started sanding!  He sanded it down quite a bit to get all the lacquer off.  From there, we primed it using regular paint primer.  Then he went over with 4 (or 5 I lost track) coats of white paint.  We spray painted the handles hot pink to match everything else in the room and after a lot of dry time, here is our end result!

DIY dresser makeover white with hot pink hardware

I am very happy with the way it came out.  Since the dresser was free, the only thing we had to buy was paint so it was inexpensive to do this dresser makeover.  To dress it up a bit more, I took the left over scrapbook paper I had from the DIY wall art project and made a mat to put underneath the glass on top.  Here's a the finished product. 

DIY dresser topper

I love the end result of this project.  I think it looks really cute and she'll be able to use it as she grows.  Plus if she ever wants to change the color scheme in her room the handles are easy enough to repaint.  If I had to do all the manual labor on this, it would probably be getting a PASS because he put a lot of time into doing all the coats, but since I didn't :-)  this project gets a PIN!

Onto the tutu table...I LOVE the tutu table.  Who am I kidding, I love all things tutu.  I'd put her in one everyday if I could!  When I saw the idea to make one out of a table I had to do it.  I got a $20 white table from Ikea and sprayed it...you guessed it, hot pink.  Then I got black tulle and lime green trim to accent the edges with.  My originally thought was I was going to hot glue the tulle along the inside lip of the table top.  Well when I sat down to put it together I quickly realized that wasn't going to work.  The tulle wouldn't stick to the table that well and it wouldn't bunch up nicely, so I had to enlist the help of none other than my Grandma D.  Now, a quick side note on Grandma D...she is the Craft Queen.  She can do it all, knit, crochet, paint, create, you name it, she can do it.  So when ever I have a project emergency, I go to her for help.  

Anyway, I took all my supplies to her and she used some elastic to string the tulle together.  Then she sewed the trim along the top of the tulle so it almost looked like a Hula skirt made from tulle.  From there, we hot glued the skirt to the edge of the table.  Here's the end result.


I don't love it.  In fact, I don't even really like it, but it's fine for now.  I needed way more tulle to make the skirt fuller.  I should have either went a little shorter or took the tulle all the way to the floor because I feel like this length looks awkward.  I like the lime green edging but it doesn't stay well on the table.  Since the table is metal, it is hard to get things to stick to it.  If I had to do over again, I would have found an old wood table, repainted it and stapled the tulle to the inside making the changes to length that I just mentioned.  Not including the cost of the table itself, I spent over $20 in supplies using coupons.  I think using a wood table and using more tulle would have made the outcome better but then it would have been even more expensive so while it breaks my heart to say it, the tutu table gets a PASS!

I had a lot of fun doing her nursery!  I think everything came out really well with the exception of a few projects I'd pass on, if I had to do it again.  Here's a a few overall photos, hope you enjoyed my baby girl nursery, Pinterest style series!

Pinterest inspired baby girl nursery

Pinterest inspired baby girl nursery

Pinterest inspired baby girl nursery

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment